North Shore-LIJ Rehabilitation Network’s Oncology Rehabilitation Program offers lymphedema therapy. We are dedicated to provide you and your family with result orientated, comprehensive therapy services. Our goal is to maximize your independence, increase your function and improve your quality of life.
Lymphedema Therapy may include:
- Restoration of skin with follow up skin care – Patients are taught how to care for their skin to prevent infection. They are also instructed on safety measure to follow at home.
- Manual lymph drainage – This is a specific type of massage used by the therapist that removes excess fluid from the tissues to decrease the size of the affected limb.
- Compression therapy / wrapping – Compression bandages and garments are applied to put external pressure on the affected area to prevent re-accumulation of fluid in the limbs.
- Therapeutic exercise and functional activities – Exercise is a critical component to lymphedema therapy. Exercises will be performed and taught to promote lymphatic flow, increase joint range of motion and will be tailored to a patients specific needs.
- Patient education – Instruction begins at the initial session and continues throughout treatment. Topics include self-massage, self-bandaging, home exercise programs and skin care.